Skip to main content

DIARY OF A ESTATE GUARD



My name is Abu Kuloba, a private security guard in a gated estate on the outskirts of the city. The residents refer to us private security guards as Solja- a corruption of Soldier. It doesn’t matter; after all, it puts bread on the table. As a daytime solja, I am an expert on sitting down and waiting. Solja always sits and waits; it is my lot.
The security guard job has been my calling for the last seven years and I am now resigned to be a professional gateman with all the stereotypes attributed to it. It might be humble and in a way risky calling but then I find it also in a way strangely satisfying. Maybe because it seems so undemanding, so unfettered,  so natural…maybe also... so lazy. 
My junior colleague is one named Jamin Shihemi, A tall, gangly, rake thin man with a withered moustache. I don’t know the origin of the name Jamin, but I personally don’t like him. Never liked him. Partly because he doesn’t listen keenly to my instructions before acting on them and partly because he irritates me constantly with his habit of having me finish his sentences for him.
 For example, whenever he comes late he is bound to say:
 “Pole, nimechele…..?” kwa sababu nilipitia kumsalimia aunty ya….Or every  lunch hour, he would always call out “Nahisi njaa najisikia kula chaku…. ?” Stupid man. Very.
You become a Solja, very few people notice you but you also become a man watcher; A man watcher sees so many beyond the presented picture, and there are always something lively and interesting to watch in a gated estate of 64 maisonettes
Two common threads run through these estate residents. First, I dare say is -stress. They all seem overly stressed. Stressed, I suspect from their mortgaged lives and stressed from the never-ending car loans and secondly because a big fraction like much middle-upper class is that the estate residents are snobs.
Snobbishness as I use the word, implies both an upward and a downward movement-A scramble upwards to emulate those whose position excels one’s own and a look downwards on (or sometimes straight through ) those less happily endowed than one’s self. A true snob should never rest, there is always a higher goal to attain and there are, by the same token, always more and more people-like yours truly-to look down upon with scorn.
 A case in point.
It is early, the clock reads 0630 on this cold Thursday morning and a glistening well-oiled car rolls slowly from inside the estate to the gate. We know the car. It belongs to a young female lawyer whose –Jurisprudence- If that is the correct word is never to talk to or acknowledge the Solja’s presence.  I dutifully open the gate after Jamin has booked the car in the register. The car stops and the driver’s window slides down and she looks through me, her hair weave is perfect in place, the earrings sparkle and the red lipsticks on the lips ravishing. She could be good, if she wanted to, I suppose. Finally, she addresses the windscreen almost with contempt.
“ Huyo Maid yangu asitoke kwa hii gate leo, Umesikia?”
The windscreen has a bit of training in public relations and politely answers back.
“ Sawa,Madam,Lakini  wewe ni wa nyumba gani? Maid yako ni yupi….”
“ Hujui hii Gari? Kazi yako ni nini hapa?”
The windscreen wisely keeps quite knowing that any word is likely to open another battlefront. It keeps quite. The window slides up, the automatic gear is engaged and the vehicle on bank loan zooms off.
I sigh as I dutifully close the gate; After all, she went to school. I, Solja, went through school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Know the meaning of that name?

  I have been employed in Kitengela for some two weeks now. The sand in Kitengela is stifling sometimes and I have yet to make or bump into old friends and I think it is too soon to open up to my new office colleagues. It is Saturday afternoon, I stroll around Kitengela, it is still suffocating. There is no air in Kite only the sizzling smell of Nyama Choma is in the air. Naturally, my feet lead me to a popular bar at the centre of the town overlooking the Namanga Highway. I spot an empty seat at the counter and perch myself at the Sina taabu seat. Next to me is a well looking elderly man, he is stall, bespectacled, neat haircut and a moustache. I nod at him as I pull a chair; He looks at me and smiles. A beer later he looks up at me and smiles again and speaks: “How is Kite taking you?” He casually asks. “How did you know I am new in the town?” I ask Surprised. He looks at me, winks and murmurs “ Mgeni Kuku Mweupe ”. I love Irish potato; It is called Waru in the local Kik

THE MAN WHO STOLE GOD

Prologue The Saint Michael Archangel Catholic Church committee based at Gilgil Barracks had requested me to give an oral historical account of the Church during the official opening and blessing of the barrack's new church. The request was floated to me seeing that I was a catechist’s son from the same church in the mid-seventies and therefore was bound to have a ringside view of the activities of the church and the personalities then. Regrettably, I could not physically make it due to the exigencies of duty being out then on the Somalia front. So instead I drafted this historical commentary consolidating ideas and views from my contemporaries who we grew up with together in the barracks. My story covers the period of late 1972 to Early 1980. St Michael the archangels’ church The big cream-coloured ‘T’ shaped rectangular space with blue iron sheets that fifty years back  occupied by a church dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel is now no longer a hallowed space. It is now a de

Julio

One thing that sticks in every Mother’s heart is letting your offspring off to face the world. The motherly instinct is strong wanting them to stay under your brood and protect them from the vices of society. The day my son, Julio, started kindergarten at five, he was as excited as any five year-old would be, I had mixed feelings on that second morning of school as I watched him jump into the school transport seeing clearly that an era of my life was ended and my sweet young one –Missing tooth and all - was maybe finally and forever never again to be mine. He arrived back in the early evening and my housemaid remarked that Tim seemed to have changed in some unremarkable way. I looked at him keenly and somehow noted that suddenly his voice had become a sort of raucous and his eyes well…penetrating after only a few hours of kindergarten schooling. In the evening, during supper, he seemed to be insolent and rude to his baby sister – Tina- failing to care or apologize even after sp