Skip to main content

MUSINGS OF A POINT MAN


man holding rifle near the tre

Even in a windy Somalia night, Crickets chirp and locusts sound their soft, muffled buzzing as 36 desert boots of number 16 platoon of Echo company trudge through the night to lay an ambush against the Al Shabaab. The Platoon is on African Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) mandate to sanitise Somalia from the AS extremist Islamic group and the warm but windy early evening of February was part of the mandate. The distance to be covered by the platoon was a mere twelve kilometres from our base on a  location intelligence had reasons to believe was a common route used by the Islamic militants for the collection of their logistics.
I was the point man of the platoon leading the human snake of 36. We shuffled rather than walked on account of the heavy weights hunkering us down. After a two hour march, the platoon understandably was sorely tried by humping the heavy but necessary load through the hot night terrain.  Each one of us carried a weapon; at least eight magazines and rounds to fill them. Each of us also carried on our webbings three days packed weight of serving’s factory made Meals Ready to Eat (MRE). Soldiers including me hate the MRE, It tastes like cardboard soaked in mud giving you energy without filling you up.
I am the the platoon point man for this mission. Pointie leads a group of solders headed in a compass direction in a single file. It is the most reviled and feared position because conventional wisdom and statistics from earlier campaigns and particularly in the Somalia theatre indicate that the life expectancy of the pointies is normally shorter. A platoon pointie, therefore, is normally balloted for under the Sergeants direction with the unlucky soldier therefore ruefully taking over the advance.
In the last twelve-foot patrols, I have volunteered six times to be the platoon point man. No big justifiable reason for my love for this position but probably is to me a search for identity and a call for acceptance from the platoon and probably also a conscious tempting of fate. It could also be an unconscious wish for early death. Three tours in Somalia have sharpened my pointie skills and unlike the other members of the platoon my sixth senses are perennially at heightened alert.
We plod on under my very deliberate speed, lifting my feet gingerly before putting it down , one foot after  another and the crocodile chain follows my example, total silence  save for the lifting a lowering of feet and the sand lifting off and falling under the platoon’s relentless march. Weapons cocked and held at the ready position, safety catches on and the index finger extended as per training over the trigger guard.
If there is an Al Shabaab  sniper out in the front training his rifle  on me, he would likely see a  well-built, very black man a year or two over twenty, a  sweaty face formed from thick slabs of flesh and a thick nose; a regulation style moustache under a regulation helmet and very cold eyes. Unlikely but if the AS sniper rifle has an X-ray scope, he could see a very philosophical brain, a brainwashed Catholic mind and overly a very austere character.
If the Al Shabbab Sniper could see into my future where would my horoscope point out in the next five years? Less aggressive probably as the demands of age catching up, more accommodating feelings as fatherhood emerged, totally subdued under the famous oral castration from the well-oiled and practised tongue of Eve?
 Suddenly I stop, as I feel rather than see that am being watched from somewhere yonder and slowly go down on my torso, almost mechanically, the platoon follows suit and immediately the silence of the Somali night is heard. The platoon commander, a Lieutenant crawls forward to my position; I am not sure what is his full name is but since he reported to the platoon from the college he was instantly identified as a serious officer since about him clung that unmistakable aura of know-how, the strength of character and ability which constitutes authority. The platoon fondly calls him “Prit” I don’t know the etymology of the name but somehow it fits him. Prit looks and is built like a product of a loving relation between a warthog and a monkey. He is short, stout and ugly but still full of wry humour. He reaches me and scans the forward environment with the platoon long-range night vision special scope.
I noticed that his scanning of the forward direction is practised and spot-on, moving the entire head and not the eyes as in-experienced officers are wont to do
He nods at me,“ Tusonge,” he whispers “ Let’s move on, ni Ngiri tu hatua kama mia Moja…It is a mere Warthog one  hundred metres ahead of .”
I smile, remembering his build. I tap once the shoulder of the soldier behind me to convey the message back. It should take another 10 minutes or so before I receive the double-tap from the last person in the crocodile chain. A tap that signifies that message received and we should therefore move forward
As I wait for the double-tap to signal our forward movement; the Catholic article of faith suddenly  runs in my mind:
 I believe in God the father almighty, creator of heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ, his son our lord, the only begotten son of God, borne of the father before all ages. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the lord, the giver of life who proceeds from the father and son and who with the father and son is worshipped adored and glorified. Three persons in one God;
The three divine persons that form the super being are supposedly all equal in all things because each is God, each is infinitely perfect, each distinct from one another.
The idea of God not being independent and having other spiritual beings that are equal to God and having the same powers is the main point of diversion between the Christian faith and the Islamic faith.
Whereas differences in opinion are understandable in matters of faith; the extremist Islamic groups especially the Al Shabaab are overdoing it.
 They want to monopolise God.
The Jihadists have labelled the rest of humanity not following the Islamic faith as Kuffars- Unbelievers. Who must be therefore be forced to be converted to follow the Muslim faith under the pain of torture and death.
Mobile footage has shown AS killing with appalling nonchalance; holding an assault rifle to the victims head before squeezing the trigger sending the body brutally toppling down; a scene almost reminiscent of an abattoir. Other videos paraded in the social media also show the casual beheadings of victims considered apostates or Kuffars with the overall aim to terrorize the local opponents and the international community to follow the call of their warped version of Islam.
These atrocious videos posted on social media work as the AMISOM Soldiers biggest fear in the Somali theatre is not death from the enemy’s bullet, which might be fast and painless but being caught alive and made a prisoner of war.
My personal worry on the war front, however, is the quality of torture that Islamists may inflict on me –A very Committed Christian and many devious methods designed to make me denounce my Catholic faith.
 It has been said that the extreme Jihadists - and AS falls in this bracket - have four levels of loathing; They do hate the Christians and Jews with passion, but their hatred fails to go that deep, because after all these two groups are also believers in the one true God and thus, with the Islamists are “people of the book”. The only shortcoming of the Christian and the Jew alike is that they have yet to recognize and accept the last testament, the Koran.
Hated above the Christians and the Jews are the atheists and idolaters, who have no god but only, carved idols? It explains why the extremist Muslims will or will never tolerate the religions from the eastern part of the globe, Buddhism, Confucianism, Hindu, Zoroastrianism and even African traditional religion and the rest. It also explains why communism cannot be tolerated by extreme Muslims. There is no place in Janah for an idolater
The third higher level of loathing by the Islamists goes even deeper. It is bestowed to the moderate Muslim. The moderates are hated because they do not ascribe to the murderous tendencies of the Jihadists and explain why the Jihadists perennially strive to seek to topple every Western-friendly Muslim government by exploding bombs in their marketplaces and killing fellow innocent Muslims.
But the highest of all loathing is reserved for the apostate, this is the Muslim who abandons or denounces Islam, a Jihadist, who recants the faith of his fathers. For such a fellow, forgiveness is out of the question and only death awaits.
Three persons, One in Three; Three in One. One God, one God. Deep.
Image result for trinity
Talking of persons, my thoughts veered to my village of Koru and to Kalandide; Kalandide was the village idiot. He was tall, with a shock of dirty and unkempt hair and loitered within the village totally naked. Good-hearted Villagers and passers-by would occasionally give him food donations which he normally grabbed and gobbled without any sign of appreciation or acknowledgement to the benefactor. Periodically, Kalandide would burst into bouts of mirth laughter lasting several hours. Another time, he would wail and weep for hours on end without any reason.
One morning the stiffened body of Kalandide was found in the outskirts of the village. It became a big issue of concern to the village when the pastor of the local church had emphatically declined to conduct funeral services for Kalandide arguing that the fallen mad villager was not worthy for the church to hold a funeral service as him as he was not a “person”. A missionary and white Catholic priest heard of this argument and conducted the funeral mass attended by the biggest group of mourners ever witnessed in Koru village.
What then is a person? Was Kalandide a person? I wondered deeply.
Image result for picture of mad person
Am also reminded of a baptism conducted in the mid-19 Century by Bishop Hannington of the Church Missionary Society (CMS)  to his first black converts in Uganda. Reportedly he made the following statements prior to the Baptism:
“ I hereby baptise you, hoping that my effort is not going to be wasted because I do assume that you are a human being, a person with a soul and hoping against hope that you are not a monkey”.
The two taps arrived and I slowly stood up, adjusted my weapon and stepped out, the Crocodile sluggishly shuffled forward.
And as I walked, my thoughts wandered about my faith. Would I denounce my faith under torture? Is it reasonable to accept pain instead of making a verbal declaration that does not reach the heart? Why should the extremists believe that a forced faith is binding in Heaven? Should I desert my faith and face the resultant eternal damnation of my soul? Why should God make me suffer for eternity for a moment of discretion, shouldn’t the punishment be equal to the crime or for the spiritual matter to the sin and shouldn’t God as wise as he is, take all these factors into consideration?
And why should the Jihadists invoke pain for one to be converted? And why should I fear pain? Can one describe the pain? Do the lower animals suffer pain as much as we humankind?
 I suspect the man is far more sensitive to pain than the lower animals, partly probably because the keenness of human pain is due in great part to its rationality, The lower animals probably suffer in the passing instant; it does not link up with what is gone and what is to come and is not tortured by the thought that it is a course of grief to others. We humankind maybe suffer intensely from the memory of what is past and from the anticipation of what is before us and just maybe from the very longing for the end of the engulfing misery. Maybe too, our pain is much deeper and sharp gushing from perceived feelings of self-pity, and maybe too from the reflection of the indifference or hostility of the people about us.
And then I wondered too about my soul, was it really immortal as my catechism classes were wont to say, does it not exist by itself? And if it did, does that mean it did not exist by itself before? Will it be immortal and bound to last forever?
I suspect that the soul must exist before it knows itself; it must know itself before it can love itself. A case of self-knowledge and self-love.  Properties that may only exist in an eternal love we humankind call God
The Crocodile marched on. Grindingly slowly like the windmills of the gods.
There was a sudden burst of staccato machine-gun fire and the thump! Thump! Thump! of mortar shells landing a distance away. We had instinctively dropped down, our weapons at the ready. The burst of fire continued for about ten minutes, it sounded as if an attack had been launched by the AS to one of the AMISOM bases. Our radio crackled and I heard the platoon commander mumbling in the handset. He must have been talking to the company Commander in the base camp. Finally, he straightened himself and muttered:
“Pass the word,” The Lieutenant whispered” Pass the word across; we continue with our mission, that was an attack against the Ugandans at their Tawakal base”
“The attack has been unsuccessful and the enemy has been beaten off” The Commander whispered again “
“We take off in ten minutes time” The whisper went down the line 

The AS has been a resolute enemy to AMISOM every other time coming up with some ingenuity that conveys the astuteness of its leadership, the use of unconventional actions and the refusal to follow conventions. He has been a ruthless customer. Ruthless and devoted to the cause because he thinks, he believes, he is devoted to a cause much larger than himself. He is fighting for Allah, for God.
It is now two o’clock early morning, a cold wind blows from the Indian Ocean, it is also much darker as a cloud now covers the moon. The stars are visible as they twinkle high up in heaven as they have done since creation.
 I hasten to tighten my gears as I wait for the two taps on my shoulder to signal our forward shuffle again. As I wait,  the last stanza of  the article of the catholic faith rings again in my ears:

I believe in the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the confession and the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
I shall keep the faith.


Image result for faith photos


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Know the meaning of that name?

  I have been employed in Kitengela for some two weeks now. The sand in Kitengela is stifling sometimes and I have yet to make or bump into old friends and I think it is too soon to open up to my new office colleagues. It is Saturday afternoon, I stroll around Kitengela, it is still suffocating. There is no air in Kite only the sizzling smell of Nyama Choma is in the air. Naturally, my feet lead me to a popular bar at the centre of the town overlooking the Namanga Highway. I spot an empty seat at the counter and perch myself at the Sina taabu seat. Next to me is a well looking elderly man, he is stall, bespectacled, neat haircut and a moustache. I nod at him as I pull a chair; He looks at me and smiles. A beer later he looks up at me and smiles again and speaks: “How is Kite taking you?” He casually asks. “How did you know I am new in the town?” I ask Surprised. He looks at me, winks and murmurs “ Mgeni Kuku Mweupe ”. I love Irish potato; It is called Waru in the local Kik

Julio

One thing that sticks in every Mother’s heart is letting your offspring off to face the world. The motherly instinct is strong wanting them to stay under your brood and protect them from the vices of society. The day my son, Julio, started kindergarten at five, he was as excited as any five year-old would be, I had mixed feelings on that second morning of school as I watched him jump into the school transport seeing clearly that an era of my life was ended and my sweet young one –Missing tooth and all - was maybe finally and forever never again to be mine. He arrived back in the early evening and my housemaid remarked that Tim seemed to have changed in some unremarkable way. I looked at him keenly and somehow noted that suddenly his voice had become a sort of raucous and his eyes well…penetrating after only a few hours of kindergarten schooling. In the evening, during supper, he seemed to be insolent and rude to his baby sister – Tina- failing to care or apologize even after sp

THE MAN WHO STOLE GOD

Prologue The Saint Michael Archangel Catholic Church committee based at Gilgil Barracks had requested me to give an oral historical account of the Church during the official opening and blessing of the barrack's new church. The request was floated to me seeing that I was a catechist’s son from the same church in the mid-seventies and therefore was bound to have a ringside view of the activities of the church and the personalities then. Regrettably, I could not physically make it due to the exigencies of duty being out then on the Somalia front. So instead I drafted this historical commentary consolidating ideas and views from my contemporaries who we grew up with together in the barracks. My story covers the period of late 1972 to Early 1980. St Michael the archangels’ church The big cream-coloured ‘T’ shaped rectangular space with blue iron sheets that fifty years back  occupied by a church dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel is now no longer a hallowed space. It is now a de